Exercising on a regular basis is good for your physical appearance and essential in improving your overall health. These two alone are already excellent reasons for you to work out.
However, various factors can influence the result of your workout routine. One such factor is your looks. Just because you sweat a lot while working out doesn’t mean you shouldn’t bother about your appearance. In fact, some people even feel discouraged when they find out they don’t look great while in the middle of a workout.
If you’re wondering about how to look good while working out, here are a few tips to get you started:
Table of Contents
1. Dress Appropriately
You can’t just put on any type of clothing while working out. Regular house clothes won’t cut it; you’d want to wear sports attire such as fitting printed t-shirts with inspiring graphics and sweatpants. Remember that mobility is important when working out. Make sure your clothes don’t restrict you while exercising; otherwise, you may injure yourself by wearing very tight or non-elastic clothes. Other advantages of dressing appropriately include:
- Ensures better outcomes: Matching your outfit with the kind of activity you’re going to perform enhances your comfort. This inspires you to work harder, hence advancing your performance. This also allows you to perform stretches and routines that would otherwise be difficult to pull off if you’re wearing regular clothing.
- Protects skin: Appropriate dressing protects your skin from certain problems. For instance, putting on light clothing ensures your skin doesn’t chafe and your sweat pores aren’t blocked.
- Increases your confidence: Wearing appropriate attire can give you a boost in your self-esteem, plus wearing sportswear can help keep you hyped up for the workout.
2. Adopt Good Hygiene Practices
Looking good isn’t only about what you wear but also how you practice hygiene. Exercising makes you sweat a lot, and poor hygiene practices may lead to unpleasant odors. The following are some fundamental hygiene tips that will give you a great look while exercising:
- Make sure your exercise clothes are clean and dry
- Avoid sharing personal belongings like towels
- Clean any equipment before using
- Cover any wound with a bandage or clean cloth
- Wash your hands properly
- Avoid wiping sweat off your face with your hands
- Take a shower after working out
3. Do Not Apply Makeup
Although looking good is great while you’re working out, you should still refrain from wearing makeup. Makeup products may clog pores, trapping sweat and oils. This could later develop into a skin rash. Also, sweat from working out can wear out your makeup, giving you a nasty look.
4. Use Sweat-Resistant Materials
If you’re that person who sweats a lot, using towels and accessories that absorb sweat is a good idea. For instance, wearing a headband will prevent sweat from trickling down your face, making sure you look great while working out. Other sweat-resistant gears include:
- Ankle bands
Moreover, you may consider wearing clothing made of cotton. This is because cotton absorbs sweat and allows proper air circulation around your skin. You should also consider applying antiperspirant to minimize sweating and body odor.
5. Accessorize Properly
Some accessories such as custom water bottles and sports watches will go a long way in making you look great. However, take care not to wear hanging earrings or necklaces because they may get caught up in gym equipment and lead to serious injuries. Complete the look with a sporty bag to store your gym clothes and accessories.
6. Consider Your Undergarments
Wearing regular bras during workouts isn’t a good idea because those aren’t designed to provide support when performing serious physical activities. It’s highly recommended to get a sports bra which not only provides ample support but also looks great along with workout pants or shorts. For men, wearing tight-fitting briefs can cause general discomfort and chafing. Experts recommend wearing boxer briefs and, if necessary, a supporter to keep the groin area protected.
Looking great while working out enables you to perform better. This is because good looks boost your self-esteem and motivate you to work harder. Keep the tips mentioned above in mind and you can look good while working towards a healthier body.